Participation of the VICINITY project in “ETSI IoT Workshop & Showcases”
The main goal of this event is to discuss and present the IoT standard showcases that provide real-life implementations of standard based technologies for oneM2M standard and SAREF communication networks applied to IoT services.
The following topics were covered:
- IoT connectivity: 5G, NB-IoT, and more - which technology for which application,
- IoT for industry and manufacturing: How IoT is used to support manufacturing, production, maintenance, monitoring and distribution, and the new business models,
- IoT security and privacy: Exploring the specific Security and Privacy challenges for IoT,
- IoT semantic and ontology-based interoperability: Explaining the importance of SAREF (Smart Applications REFerence ontology), the European lead solution for intra and inter sector semantic data interoperability,
- AI and big data in the IoT standards,
- Mobile Edge Computing in the context of IoT services, and more: smart energy, smart home, buildings and environment, smart cities and communities, water management, cooperative and connected mobility, asset monitoring and management, logistics and supply chain, smart agriculture, wearables/body area networks, e-health/ageing well.
The audience showed a high interest to our presentation on privacy and the VICINITY ideas to data protection received a positive feedback.
The idea of building the semantic interoperability on top of SPARQL queries, and the discovery and distributed access underneath, was welcome by the audience. Most of the questions leant towards the translation of data from the distributed environments into the one required by VICINITY, and expressed with its model. Other questions focused on the use of standards such as WoT for our implementation, and the generality of the approach (if it could be adapted to other standards like oneM2M).